As a new blogger, sometimes the helpful blogging tips that you come across might seem a bit beyond your current knowledge level. For me, I was always looking for something file under “blogging for dummies” because it all just seemed so overwhelming to me at times. Whether you are wondering how to launch a blog or maybe you've been at it for a little while – it helps to have some clear guidance that is written for your level of blogging experience. I've put together this list of 22 essential blogging tips for beginners to make it super easy to know how to be more productive in your blogging journey.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links and ads, read my full disclosure here.
Blogging Tips for Beginners
I've read a ton of blogging posts that have to do with blogging tips for beginners. Most of them talk about how to write a great post and to “write for you” and “be you” and all that – and that is important. The problem with blogging for beginners is that you are don't' fully understand the technical stuff involved in blogging to make sure you are doing it right. Successful blogging tips should include information on things to do before you launch your site, ways to improve traffic and increase subscribers and income. You can write for “you” all day long but if the technical side of setting up a blog isn't done properly, you will literally be writing for “you” and no one else because no one else will ever see it!
Successful Blogging Tips for Beginners- Before You Launch
If you are literally in the planning phase and haven't yet launched your blog, there are several things you'll want to make sure you get right BEFORE the launch. When you know how to make your blog better from the start, you'll be much more successful in your blogging adventures. Don't make the common mistake of just jumping in without actually doing some research. A successful blog is one that you've put much effort into before you create it – as well as setting up the blog properly from day one. The following list of blogging tips and tricks for beginners will get you started on the right track.
Before I go into the specific blogging tips, it is important that you understand the purpose of a blog. Many new bloggers start a blog to simply journal their life. These “personal blogs” typically don't do well as far as getting organic traffic and earning affiliate income. A successful blog is one that solves a problem or provides answers. People search Google for things they need help with. This could be as simple as how to make a certain recipe – or it could be more personal such as tips for a mom of a newborn. For your blog to be successful, you must write about things people are actually searching for in a Google search.
Blogging Tips and Tricks for Beginners
- Research Niche First – So many bloggers start a blog without actually researching their niche. Some niches are easier to monetize and grow than others. Some niches are harder to break into than others. Also, within each niche are even smaller niches. The overall success of your blog will be dependent upon you fully knowing and understanding your target audience (who you are trying to help with your content – your Avatar). By fully researching and understanding your target audience, you will be able to write content that your audience will want to read, create optins that will convert to subscribers, and select affiliate products that will convert to sales.
- Check Domain & Social Media Handles – When deciding on a name for your blog, you want to ensure the name (and associated domain URL) reflect the niche (and purpose) of the site. Don't choose a name that only makes sense to you – it needs to click for most people who may come across it. Also, before you actually purchase your domain, check to make sure the same name is available across the main social media channels. This makes it easier for your readers to search and find you. For example, this blog is Girl Bosses Rock and my handle on all social channels is @girlbossesrock.
- Platforms – There are many blogging platforms available to launch your site from. WordPress is the most common and provides the most support and integrations compared to the others. It is important that you understand there are 2 different WordPress platforms and the pros/ cons of each one.
WordPress(.com) – This is the platform that enables you to start a blog for free. Many new bloggers will start on this platform, but soon realize the extreme limitations in growing and monetizing a blog from this platform. With a free WordPress blog, you are unable to monetize with ads and you are unable to install plugins which increase the effectiveness of your site. You can upgrade to a higher (paid) account, however, it can be quite expensive and you will still have some limitations.
WordPress(.org) – This version of WordPress is free to install, but you will need hosting to make it run. This is the preferred WordPress platform to launch a blog from because you have full control over it, can monetize it in a variety of ways, and are able to install plugins and other things in order to tailor it to your needs.
- Invest in Self-Hosting – While it may be tempting to start with the free WordPress blog, investing in self-hosting from day one will provide so many benefits and produce better results for growing and monetizing your blog. Starting a blog with self-hosting means you have full control over everything. Don't worry! Self-hosting might sound scary but it actually means that a hosting company such as Siteground makes your blog run (sort of like how AT&T or Sprint make your phone work).
- HTTPS – I still see so many blogs with unsecured domains (http). Having an encrypted certificate on your domain is so important! Not only does it protect your readers, but it is also required to have a secure site for GDPR compliance. Also, Google now penalized sites that aren't secure (those still using http). The easiest way to fix this is to contact your web host and ask them to install it. Siteground will do it for free – just call or use the chat support and it takes just a few minutes to complete.
- Set up Your Site for Success Before Publishing – Before you actually launch your blog, it is so important that you have the necessary plugins (free & paid), have it laid out for maximum user experience, set up the back-end stuff like SEO, categories, and tags. The best way to do this is to complete the Get Your Blog On course (it's totally free) which literally walks you through each step of navigating your WordPress dashboard, setting up your plugins, and all the other critical areas. This free course provides the most in-depth blogging tips and tricks for beginners and has video tutorials to make it easy to understand.
- Have Content Before Publishing – In order to have the most successful blog launch possible, it is important that you have content for readers before you go live! Don't just write one or two posts then launch. Try to create 4-6 posts before the launch to give your readers more to read. This will help increase your page views and keep readers engaged longer.
- Have a Content Plan Before Publishing – In addition to having content ready before you go live, you should also have a solid plan for what new posts you'll be publishing after the launch. Too often, new bloggers get writer's block and start writing about random things that really don't flow with their niche and audience.
- Set up Email Service for Subscribers – This is one thing that always seems to be missing from other posts I've come across about blogging tips for beginners. You want to start capturing emails from Day One. Many subscriber plugins are simply set up to have subscribers get new blog posts by email. By setting up an actual email service provider such as ConvertKit or MailerLite, you can begin collecting emails from the start. Create a simple welcome email that goes out when a new person subscribes, set up the RSS feed so they'll get the new posts by email, and then have a plan for sending regular emails to them. This will help build a rapport and help you connect with them from the beginning.
Now that you understand some of the most basic blogging tips for beginners to get their blog started, here are some additional blogging tips and tricks to help you increase blog traffic (and page views), increase subscribers to your site, and increase your blog income.
General Blogging Tips for Beginners to Increase Traffic
- Learn and Use SEO – Of all the successful blogging tips in this post, learning about SEO (search engine optimization) and how to do keyword research for your blog posts is the single most important factor in your blog getting genuine, organic traffic. SEO is how your blog post gets found. SEO is what gets your blog post to show up in search results. You must choose the right keywords to rank for and format your post in a certain manner for Google to be able to find it. Once you begin using SEO for your blog posts, you will start seeing organic traffic to your site.
- Internal Linking – Internal linking means to link to other posts in the current post. In the paragraph above, the text “learning about SEO” links to another post on my blog that is related to SEO. Even though you have (or should have) a related or recent posts widget on your sidebar or after content, linking directly in the post itself provides a clickable option in the direct line of sight of your reader. They are more likely to click on it because it is right in front of them.
- Pinterest – If you aren't already using Pinterest for your blog, you are missing out on massive traffic! Pinterest typically sends around 75% of the traffic to my site. Having high-quality, pinnable (Pinterest-worthy) images is key. Also, ensure your Pinterest profile is optimized for SEO success.
- Auto-publish to social media – Ensure you have your social media channels connected to your blog so that when you first publish a post, it is automatically published to each platform.
- Schedule to social media – Once you've published a post, you should then schedule it out to post again a few times throughout the month using a scheduling tool such as Hootsuite.
Blogging Tips for Beginners to Increase Subscribers
- General Subscriber Box – At a minimum, you should have an eye-catching subscriber box on your sidebar. Make sure it is dressed up a bit. Instead of just saying “subscribe to my blog” give them an idea of why they should. For example, on my site, my sidebar subscribe box lets them know they'll get blogging tips and other goodies for signing up (this is in addition to getting the new blog posts in their email.).
- Post-specific Optin Forms – In addition to the general subscribe box in your sidebar, create a few different Optins that relate to your blog posts. These will be embedded directly into the post. Unlike the general subscriber box which simply asks them to subscribe, an Optin asks for their email in exchange for you giving them something such as a downloadable checklist or access to protected content. Make sure the optin relates to the post. For example, if you wrote a post about healthy dinner ideas, an optin that gives the reader a checklist for traveling with kids doesn't fit the content of the post.
- Pinterest – In addition to sending massive traffic to your site, Pinterest can also be used to increase your subscribers. Of course, having pins that lead to your blog will get them to see the optins – but you can also create beautiful and informative landing pages for your subscriber forms and create a pin for them.
- Facebook – Be sure that you have a link to sign up on your blog's Facebook page. You can edit your header image to include text as seen below, then enter the sign-up link in the “Sign Up” box settings.
Blogging Tips for Beginners to Increase Income
- Blogging for Beginners: Know Your Audience – In order to start seeing conversions on your affiliate links, you must know what your audience needs and wants. Randomly promoting products in your blog posts will not produce the results you want to see. Blogging for beginners can be overwhelming and when you don't see conversions you might be inclined to give up. Do your research so you understand your audience's needs. This will help you choose products and services to meet their needs – resulting in higher conversions.
- Blogging for Beginners: Resource Pages – Aside from creating high-quality content directed to your readers, it is also important to have a resource page specific to your blog. Resource pages are a great way to showcase affiliate products as well as (non-affiliate) resources and products that resonate with your audience. You can have more than one resource page – including reading lists. All of these can be linked in your navigation menu, on your sidebar, mentioned in the actual posts, and promoted on Pinterest. (Resource pages should be created on the “page” template.) Here is an example of my Resources for Christian women page to give you ideas!
- Blogging for Beginners: Gift Guides – Gift guides are another great way to boost affiliate earnings. You can create a variety of different types of gift guides using the “page” template. As with the Resource Pages, you can link and promote them in a variety of ways.
- Blogging for Beginners: Use Pinterest – In addition to using Pinterest for promoting blog posts, resource pages, and gift guides (all things that link directly to your blog), you should also be using Pinterest to promote direct affiliate links. Simply create a pin and link it to the same products you are recommending on your site. In case you haven't noticed, using Pinterest for your blog is one of the most successful blogging tips for beginners I can give you.
Just remember that blogging for beginners isn't always as simple and easy as some make it out to be. Just like with anything else in life, you will get the best return when you invest your time first. By following these blogging tips and tricks for beginners, you will be setting your blog up for overall, longer-term success!